Monday, April 13, 2009

20 Frames to go

It is the last bowling night in the Challenger League until the fall. Next week we have the opening ceremony for softball.

What does the end of bowling mean to the world. Well, for one thing my Bacardi consumption may drop a bit. It takes an extra couple of double rum old fashions to knock the edge off a bowling night. It also means I'll have an extra $6 in my pocket Tuesday morning. The $6 is the price of two bowling games in the league and it always comes out of my pocket and not Tina's purse, which I find odd because she almost always pays for everything when we are out as a family. That way she doesn't have to ask me for a receipt that I may or may not have. I don't know what happens to those things.

But most importantly, the end of Monday night bowling nights means I stop having dreams of thundering cannons. There really is nothing like the sound of 40 people bowling at the same time and being trapped in the middle of it like a traffic cop directing new drivers. While our bowlers are actually pretty good, they just don't seem to grasp the concepts of personal space or the etiquette of allowing the bowler on either side to bowl first. At times it is like a mob armed with bowling balls and the rum doesn't even help. Softball is much more controlled and civilized, at least until a ball is hit into play. Then more often than not all hell breaks loose. But that is my game and I'm OK with it.

No comments: