Monday, April 20, 2009

My day

Last Wednesday I took an afternoon for just myself; no work, no husbandly or fatherly responsibilities. Just John.

I went and played golf with the Wednesday group at my club. I call it group therapy because it is my time to destress. I played in this group a lot last year and it truly helped me improve my game. On a modified point system I ended the year needing 24 points a round. As I posted the other day, I haven't really played this year and my game has a lot of rust on it, about equal to the amount of dust on my clubs to be honest.

The front side started out OK, with three boogies for three points and then the wheels fell off. I was swinging much too hard and simply slapping the ball around like a hockey player. But something very unique happened on the 6th hole. Ten days before I had lost a ball approaching the green, when I found my ball this time, missing in the exact same spot, I found both my shot from this round and the one from ten days before. I know for 100% fact that this was my ball, a Titleist NXT Tour 4 with a blue JC written in marker. I thought that was pretty cool. I still doubled the hole for no points.

I finally boogied 9 for a point and then doubled 10. My two playing partners were pretty disappointed in me since both have played with me many times and know me to be a solid player. Then on 11 I rebooted my brain. I thought not about what I was doing but what I used to do and then I went par, par, par, boogie, par, boogie, double (water), and par making my points at least for the back.

The day cost me an extra $5 for being the lowest below my points but then I hooked up with two guys to play the back 9 again. I doubled the first hole again and then went, par, boogie, par, par, birdie, boogie, par, birdie and won 4 drinks for the effort. More importantly I was hitting fairways and greens like I am suppose to, there wasn't any scrambling on the back, just kind of text book golf.

Now all of this is important to me because it was my day, the day I wanted and needed. It has fixed more than my golf swing, it has me in the mood for Spring and Summer.

No comments: