Thursday, April 9, 2009

More than a special day


Yesterday was the Special Olympics in Bowie County.  This has become my favorite day of the year, surpassing Christmas, Thanksgiving, Superbowl Sunday, and my birthday.

The Special Olympics was founded to allow the physically and mentally challenged an opportunity to participate and compete in athletic events.  It gives these athletes an opportunity to shine.

What I love about it is that while these special people are having their day and loving it, it is made possible by a host of "normal" people who for one day put the complications, drama, and complexities of their own lives on hold to make sure this day happens.  All over the track and field I saw hugs, laughter, handholding, cheering, friendship and true joy by all those participating.

Amanda, like all atheletes at the event, was assigned a helper from a school.  Hers was a senior from Texas Senior High School by the name of Faith.  She is a lovely young lady who has  a warm smile and is training for a half marathon.  But when she helped Amanda run the 25 meter assisted race she was almost breathless as Amanda came in third out of five.  Amanda does not have depth perception and had no idea how the finish line was, so she just pumps her legs and one free arm and goes as fast as her little body will let her.  Both were equally excited.

Yesterday will stay with me for a long time, because not only did I see my child do well in her events but I heard her speak more than ever before.  She said things such as:
  • Best year ever
  •  I want my yogurt
  • Thank you no work, Special Olympics
  • When do it again?
After so many years of only yes and no answers and the single question of, "why?' I just eat up every word she has to say.

Now today it is back to the normal routine of our lives, but the glow on my face is not just because I forgot to put sunscreen on myself after I watched Tina lather up Amanda, it's because yesterday I got the best present, biggest meal, my team won, and I turned 39 again all rolled into one.



1 comment:

Katherine said...

My God, John...I love your take on life. I am so glad you shared your blog with me...I have laughed until my sides are sore and cried more than a few tears. You are truly a blessed man.