Monday, April 26, 2010

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am hyper sensitive to noise. I cannot stand tapping, clicking, dripping, thumps, grinds, tinkling, crunching, creaking, smacking, slurping, ticking or tocking. I also do not like to hear ANYTHING when I'm concentrating other than my own thoughts or background music of my own choosing. I do not want to hear conversations, bits of conversations, a TV show, a talk radio program, music that I did not choose, sneezing, coughing, throat clearing, laughing, sniffling, or snapping.

At times this sensitivity makes me very unpopular at work, at home or any other place I may be. People do tend to like it when I close my door and wear a set of headphones with my Pandora jazz station playing as I work on a bid or letter.

So because karma has a cruel streak about as wide as the Mississippi River during a spring flood, Amanda does not have what you would call an inside voice. It has taken her years to develope speech equal to a four year old, and she now speaks loud and proud.

I will tell her to use her in side voice and she will whisper, "ok." Not thirty seconds later she will sound like a drunk in the audience at a club yelling "FREEBIRD!" to the band.

My wife, who happens to be a rather noisy person, at least by my standards, has noticed it too. She also believes it is my fault simply because I complain too much about noise in general.

1 comment:

Azaera said...

You know it's odd, Chuck has a hypersensitivity to touch. Especially light touches or touches he doesn't know are coming. He freaks out and will sometimes jerk his arms/legs whatever and start flailing. Personally I am kind of like you, except not as bad. I hate loud noises. Banging pots? Dropped dishes? Someone slamming a door? All drive me batty. I think everyone has some weird sensitivity.

Also working with children everyday I can honestly tell you that kids do not possess inside voices. They can whisper if they choose to momentarily, or they can even play very quietly, but it usually means they are up to something. So yeah, it's not just Amanda and watch out when things get too quiet. ;)