Monday, September 20, 2010

Something on my mind

I have a topic on my mind that has dominated my thinking the past few weeks and it can be summed up like this: CRAP is CRAP

What I mean by that blunt statement is this; do not deny people their pain.  I believe the worst thing that I have ever been told or have ever heard anyone say to anyone else who is having a hard time with a personal issue is: "It could be worse."

Everyone is aware that things can always be worse, that is not the point I am trying to make.  What I am say is this.

Imagine you are about to be served a meal at a restaurant and the food is brought out and placed before you and your family or date or whomever you care to share a nice meal with.  The food is everything you want it to be and then all of the sudden a squirrel that is hanging from the rafters poops onto your meal.  The food is ruined by this small amount of fecal matter, as is the outing.

Now the manager of the restaurant is demanding that you pay for the meal.

Customer: I'm not paying for this meal

Manager: But why?

Customer: Because a squirrel crapped on it

Manager: But it was just a squirrel.  It's not like it was a buffalo

Customer: No, crap is crap.

So what I'm saying in my round about way is this, when a person has received bad news, don't trivialize it by saying it could be worse because we all know that is true.  Don't be a squirrel or a buffalo, be a human being.

No comments: