Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The way it is

Have you ever had a moment where one word allowed you to realize something you hadn't given any thought to before? Not quite an epiphany or even an eureka moment. Just a, "Well, crap, I never realized that until now."

It was yesterday morning. My family was getting ready for the day in my bathroom. The bathroom is quite large and we fit in it without difficulty and a lot of visiting goes on in the morning. Tina had finished Amanda's hair on her side of the bathroom and I was at my sink when she asked me if I wanted a particular hair product called "manipulator." I told her no. Then Amanda tried to say the word and it came out, "Many pooooooooh later." She has more than a speech impediment, but she is still understandable in most cases.

But I looked at her and I remembered something my father's younger brother told me when Amanda wasn't even two years old. He said, "You know, she is going to have a speech impediment. Just stick with it." This from a man who had what I would consider, normal and healthy sons.

Now the second thought which was almost simultaneous was about my mother's brother. He has a daughter who is nearly 30 years and has CP and other special needs. He has never spoken about it in regards to my own situation in any form other than one time that involved an inheritance issue.

For just a brief moment I mourned the missed opportunity. Then Amanda and I loaded up in my car and she went with me to make a sales call.

One of the reason's I blog so much about Amanda is I want people to know I am approachable about the subject. I'm accumulating a lot of experiences and even gathering some knowledge on the subject. If it can benefit someone else, I'm willing to share.
The more of us like that better off we all are.