Monday, February 23, 2009

Me and Facebook

What I like about Facebook is the distraction it gives me from the routine that Amanda demands. She does not differentiate much from one day to the next, and you can pretty much set a clock by her on the weekend as to what game she wants to play. So the fact that I have Facebook on my Blackberry allows me to at least have some contact with some of the adults in my life.

It's not that I consider being with Amanda boring, far from it, but if you had to have the exact same conversation on a four year old level day in and day out you would want to at least multitask. Facebook is a simple multitask because it can also be ignored for stretches at a time. Another thing I do a lot of is read the news from the various web pages. Amanda thinks Blackberries are cool, she has a collection of my old ones, and she will will mimic me by sending e-mails, texts, and phone calls to her various phantom friends while I read everything on USAToday.com.

In another month it will be a lot easier in the evenings because it will be warmer and we can sit outside on either the bench in the front yard or the swing in the back. My WiFi actually broadcastes well enough for either location. This way we can sit until supper time and afterwards play a game. She is really into various cards games which is also good visual therapy. She has also learned enough to manipulate the game with her mother and I so that she can win more often than not.

But I digress. What I'm saying, I enjoy the connection that Facebook allows me to make and I think it helps me be a better dad.

1 comment:

Summer said...

I get it. I'm glad to have the connection as well. While I live a very different life than you do, I am very much in a bubble and it's nice to have a method to reach out when I can.