Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Not quite an X-Man

I have a mutant ability. I wake up 4 minutes before my alarm clock goes off no matter what time I set it for. I have been doing this for years and it is to the point that when it doesn't happen the alarm scares Tina and I half to death.

4 minutes is an odd number, but it's true. This morning I had the alarm set for 5:30 and I was awake at 5:26. It happens more often than not and because I have travelled so extensively I have tested it in time zones across the country. The one place where it didn't work effectively is Hawaii, but I don't think I was there long enough to acclimate.

What happens when I don't have an alarm set? I sleep until6:56. If I sleep later than 7 with Amanda in the house I am taking my chances. She is disabled enough to where she can't get to the bathroom by herself in the morning. So 7 is as late as it gets.

Now, what advantage to waking up before the alarm clock is there? To the best of my knowledge, none for myself. But as I have said, Tina seldom has to hear it go off, but when it does I have actually dealt with it so infrequently that I virtually destroy the nightstand trying to shut it off.

As far as a name for myself to go along with my power I have come up with, Promptman. It's my only hope to get paired with a guy like Wolverine so I don't show up to meet the bad guys early and alone, I'm sure the other X-Men would get tired of rescuing me time and again.

No comments: