Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Old Things but not antiques

There are a few items in my life that I have used quite frequently for more than twenty years. The first is my blue towel. The towel is a large solid blue beach towel with my name embroidered on one end. I received it as a high school graduation gift from my girlfriend's parents. This towel has had so many functions that they must be noted. Of course it was a towel which I used quite regularly while taking scuba as a PE my sophomore year, it was the one curtain in my apartment my junior and senior year of school, it was a curtain over a glass door in my first after college apartment, it was the towel used to dry my English Bulldog for five years, it has dried many cars, and for the past several years it is the towel that is brought out for Amanda when she has an upset stomach. While this towel is now faded and not as thick as it once was it has yet to fray and has many more years of service still to come. Everyone should have such a towel.

My second old thing is also another high school graduation present, it's an American Heritage Dictionary and Thesarus hardback desk set. I received this from my aunt and uncle who at the time lived in Dallas. I use the dictionary several times a week at my home office. No matter how many times I crack them open I am still a very poor speller.

And finally there is my other book of note. As I just stated, I have a thesarus but my freshman year at SFA I felt I needed another one for my backpack so I bought a paperback copy of The Synonym Finder. I keep it on my desk at work along with another dictionary I pilferred from somewhere in the building. It is starting to yellow a bit but I believe all the words are still up to date.

I also have pair of elephant hide ropers that I received as a Christmas gift when I was 17 but it has been years since I have worn them and they are on the top back shelf of my closet. I prefer my Ecco, Borne, and Merril shoes these days. Oh and I have to have my Shox.

Anyway, that is my collection of old things that I use.

No comments: