Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Someone wants to know what I think

I am to be interviewed after work today by a an education major. She is required to interview the parent of a special needs parent for one of her classes. Tina has done this interview for several students the past few years and asked if I would do it this time to provide a fresh perspective.

My job as a father and husband in the area of Amanda's education is to be both the unstoppable force and immovable object. A difference of opinion with school administration is an area where Tina is an awesome corner man. She tells me what she wants done and I do it. After years of dealing with distributors and contractors I find administrators and teachers to be a PG version remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Tina shouldn't have to bare the weight of conflicts though. In my vows I promised to protect her, and really the greatest threat to her health and happiness is an unyielding administrator. So, that is what I gladly do.

I have dubbed an ARD meeting, "A Reason to Die." The room has Tina and I in it along with about eight adminstrators, teachers, and therapists. The meeting starts with the principal reading the rules that the meeting will be civil and not personal. Then it is turned over the to head of special education at the school who starts with, "Let's talk about your mentally retarded daughter." Yep, just love that woman.

Anyway, I digress. Back to the interview. Tina hasn't told me what the questions will be. She said she wants to see me handle it like she had to the first time. I feel fortunate that the young woman who is conducting the interview is actually one of Amanda's two frequent sitters. So I know she will not try to rile me up or break me down. She is a dear friend of both Amanda and Tina, and I think she thinks I'm ok too.
So for my three readers I know of, thats about it from TXK.

No comments: